Who We Are

The Stephen Sondheim Theatre

Don’t let the historic fa├žade of the Stephen Sondheim Theatre fool you—behind the almost 100-year-old, neo-Georgian exterior sits New York’s first LEED-certified Broadway theatre, raising the bar for environmentally sustainable design and construction of performing arts venues. The 1,055-seat house, and the 55-story Bank of America Tower that rises above it, are an Empire State Development Corporation project and a joint venture of The Durst Organization Inc. and Bank of America, N.A.
The former Henry Miller’s Theatre, named after the actor/director/producer who built it in 1918, operated until 1969, when it became an adult movie house. In 1977 it was transformed into a discotheque called Xenon. In 1998, Roundabout renovated, reopened and operated the venue as a Broadway theatre for their Tony award–winning production of Cabaret. However, nine months into the run, a construction accident at an adjacent building forced the theater to close, and Cabaret transferred to Studio 54, where it ran for five more years. It was this fortuitous accident that introduced Roundabout to the gritty charms of Studio 54.
The revitalization of Henry Miller's Theatre is consistent with Roundabout's history of bringing dilapidated, lost theatres back to life and managing them efficiently for the benefit of theater artists and the community.