Roundabout Theatre Company, one of the nation’s largest not-for-profit theatres, seeks dynamic professional artists of all theatrical disciplines to join a vibrant roster of collaborative teaching artists.
Roundabout Theatre Company Teaching Artists are placed in residencies across the 5 boroughs, sometimes to teach their craft, but more frequently to use their craft to teach the skills or content of another academic subject. Performers, designers, writers, technicians, technical directors, production managers and stage managers with professional experience and an interest in working with NYC Public School students ages 12 - 18 are strongly encouraged to apply.
Education at Roundabout, through its education initiatives, strives to enhance teacher practice and deepen student learning. We are dedicated to using our resources as a professional theatre to transform the classrooms of New York City schools by creating learning opportunities across all disciplines through the exploration of theatre and by collaborating with teachers and teaching artists to infuse theatrical teaching strategies into their curriculum.
· Professional skills, training and experience in one or more theatrical disciplines
· Experience or interest in teaching diverse populations
· Available for assignments in the 2016-17 school year (September-June)
· A commitment to mandatory training sessions (see dates below)
· Flexibility to work occasional evening and weekend hours
· Prior Teaching or Teaching Artist Experience
· Experience partnering with NYC public schools
· A Bachelors or Masters Degree
· Ability to teach in languages other than English
· Experience with special education populations
Applications for the 2016-17 academic year should be submitted by Friday, June 3, 2016. Applicants chosen for consideration will be asked to interview, followed by an "audition" of a teaching sample.
Applicants must be available for all of the following dates:
· Interview dates: Wednesday, June 15 and Thursday, June 16
· Audition date: Wednesday, June 29 and Thursday, June 30 All day
· Orientation meeting: Monday, August 1, 10:30am–12:00pm
· Theatrical Teaching Institute: Sunday, August 14–Friday, August 19, 9:00am–5:00pm
· Fall Teaching Artist Lab: Monday, September 19–Thursday, September 23 All day (Subject to change)
Applicants should note that the scheduling of work is flexible and is based on departmental need. Roundabout Teaching Artists facilitate for a variety of populations including students in grades 6–12, educators, families, subscribers and other audiences as needed. Work is primarily distributed through in-school residencies, on-site workshops, and subscriber events.
Roundabout Theatre Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Part time/Seasonal position. No phone calls, please.