INTERNSHIPS AT A GLANCE
- Summer Internships run from June to August.
- Interns are paid the hourly rate of minimum wage.
- Successful internship candidates have generally completed an internship and are at least in their junior or senior year of college or have comparable work experience.
- Internships are available in the following administrative departments: Artistic, Development, Education, Finance, General Management, Human Resources, Information Technology, and Marketing. More information about each department’s position and job requirements can be found below.
- Learn more about a day-in-the-life of an intern on the Roundabout blog.
Applications for summer internships are closed. The most recent list of internship positions and job responsibilities can be found below. Available summer internships are subject to change.
Please consult this page in Fall 2022 for more information about this program.
The Artistic Intern will support all the work of Roundabout’s Artistic Department. Responsibilities include:
- Reading new play submissions and attending external staged readings of new work
- Writing script coverage
- Assisting with the preparation and execution of Roundabout’s readings and workshops
- Assisting in the maintenance of Roundabout’s literary database
- Completing dramaturgical research for each production and writing articles for Roundabout’s Upstage Guides
- Completing administrative tasks that support the day-to-day operations of the Artistic Department
Strong writing, research, phone, and organizational skills are imperative.
- Supporting all areas of Roundabout's fundraising efforts, with emphasis on individual giving.
- Assisting in coordinating direct mail campaigns for individual donors
- Researching prospective individual and institutional funders
- Maintaining development files
- Carrying out other special projects and cultivation events as needed.
The ideal candidate for this position is detail-oriented with strong writing and communication skills, is able to work in a fast-paced environment and multi-task, and has a passion for theatre/fundraising. Experience with Tessitura database, internet research applications, and mail merges a plus.
EDUCATION INTERN, COMMUNITY PARTNERSHIPS
- Assisting in the preparation of dramaturgical research materials for the 2020-2021 season of Roundabout productions.
- Assisting in the coordination and general support for various Community Partnerships programs including off-site partnerships, Theatre Plus, Upstage Playgoers Guide and on-site workshops.
Tasks may include:
- Transcribing interviews and supporting Roundabout’s Upstage Playgoers Guide
- Assisting with scheduling and preparation for Community Partnership meetings
- Supporting Relaxed Performances
- Coordinating and prepping programmatic materials
- Database entry
- Documenting Community Partnerships programs
- Assisting lead facilitators as needed
- Completing administrative tasks that support the day-to-day operations of Education at Roundabout
Strong writing and research skills along with an interest in community and audience engagement are imperative.
EDUCATION INTERN, TEACHING & LEARNING
- Assisting in the coordination and general support for the Roundabout Youth Ensemble (RYE). RYE is a student-run theatre company with the students serving as the artistic, managing, and production leaders. Duties may include but are not limited to:
- Mentoring students through the production process
- Arranging snacks for students
- Coordinating materials
- Helping students write rehearsal reports
- Database entry
- Preparing materials
- Documenting the program
- Assisting in the coordination and general support for various education programs including on-site workshops and professional development institutes.
- Assisting in the preparation of curricular materials for the 2020-2021 season of Roundabout productions.
Strong organizational skills and an interest in working with high school aged youth are imperative.
Responsibilities include assisting the Staff Accountant, Finance Administrator, Payroll Managers, as well as the Finance Director, with the following responsibilities:
- Creating daily wraps (ticket sales reports) and projections for our rentals
- Processing incoming mail, invoices, check requests and related receipts for Accounts Payable
- Maintaining daily contact with vendors and RTC staff
- Creating and maintaining files, spreadsheets, and various reports, including maintenance of digital files
- Completing various financial projects and providing overall administrative support to the finance office
GENERAL MANAGEMENT INTERN
- Maintaining artist contracts: drafting correspondence with agents, unions, and other collaborators
- Answering and redirecting phone calls
- Maintaining an extensive filing system
- Tracking Broadway grosses and industry trends
- Special projects such as preparing research for various production and administration needs
- Filling house seat requests
- Researching legal and copyright issues
- Providing support to the management staff, general managers, and various production and facility personnel
Experience with Microsoft Office, strong organizational skills, and an interest in theatrical management/arts administration are imperative.
HUMAN RESOURCES INTERN
- Assisting with new hire and termination processes in ADP Workforce Now and other vendors
- Preparing and reviewing new hire and orientation paperwork
- Communicating with staff to maintain company-wide staff list and act as editor of Roundabout’s employee newsletter
- HR file maintenance including updating I9 database and administering Paid-Time Off Requests
- Assisting with implementation of performance appraisal system
- Resolving issues with employee documentation
- Researching and collecting data for various HR initiatives
- Working on various short and long-term HR projects
- Observing interview process and shadowing HR Director in day to day activities
Responsibilities include assisting the IT Support Team with the following:
- Learning how to troubleshoot IT issues and resolve service requests
- Providing technical support in person and over the phone as needed
- Assisting the IT department in deploying, upgrading, and repairing computers, printers, phones, and peripherals
- Working closely with the IT team to maintain our IT documentation surrounding daily tasks and major issues/projects
- Assisting web development team members in keeping our in-house application running and our website bug-free
Experience/understanding of basic computer operations is a must:
- Mac OS
- Networking technologies and protocols, such as IP addressing, DNS, DHCP, and remote-access (VPN, etc.)
- Microsoft Windows OS (10 and beyond)
- Microsoft Office Suite
- Support and troubleshooting PC Hardware/Software
- Imaging and provisioning Workstation
- Active Directory
- Office 365 Administration
- Virtualization (VMWare)
- Able to lift at least 50 lbs
- Able to travel between multiple sites within the Theater District
- Able to work in confined spaces
Note: One internship is available in the Marketing department.
- Independently managing projects related to subscription campaigns, advertising, and direct mail
- Assisting with planning and execution for numerous pre- and post-show Marketing events, including Hiptix events for young professionals
- Marketing and sales reporting
- Interdepartmental routing
- Independently conduct strategic outreach and coordinate partnerships with other not-for-profit organizations, brands, and influencers
- Strategic research and planning for future productions
- Support digital content team by assisting with content creation and social media monitoring
- Additional projects as assigned
Roundabout Theatre Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer that strives to represent individuals from all walks of life in its workforce. We want our employment community to be a representation of the diverse world we live in. As such, we strongly encourage people from underrepresented groups to apply, and we ensure that every candidate who applies for a position at Roundabout Theatre Company is treated equally and fairly without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, veteran status, disability status and any other factor prohibited by law. We believe diversity in our teammates is paramount to our success as a not-for-profit theatre serving all communities in New York.