Roundabout provides hands-on learning opportunities for students and aspiring arts professionals interested in theatre administration careers through full-time summer internships.
INTERNSHIPS AT A GLANCE
- Summer Internships run from June to August.
- Interns are paid the hourly rate of minimum wage.
- Successful internship candidates have generally completed an internship and are at least in their junior or senior year of college or have comparable work experience.
- Internships are available in the following administrative departments: Artistic, Development, Education, Finance, General Management, Human Resources, Information Technology, and Marketing. More information about each department’s position and job requirements can be found below.
- Learn more about a day-in-the-life of an intern on the Roundabout blog.
Roundabout Theatre Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer that strives to represent individuals from all walks of life in its workforce. We want our employment community to be a representation of the diverse world we live in. As such, we strongly encourage people from underrepresented groups to apply, and we ensure that every candidate who applies for a position at Roundabout Theatre Company is treated equally and fairly without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, veteran status, disability status and any other factor prohibited by law. We believe diversity in our teammates is paramount to our success as a not-for-profit theatre serving all communities in New York.
Our Summer Internship Program will be postponed until the summer of 2024. Please consult this page in Winter 2023 for more information about applying for this program.
In the meantime, the most recent list of internship positions and job responsibilities can be found below. Available summer internships are subject to change.
The Artistic Intern will support all the work of Roundabout’s Artistic Department. Responsibilities include:
- Reading new play submissions and attending external staged readings of new work
- Writing script coverage
- Assisting with the preparation and execution of Roundabout’s readings and workshops
- Assisting in the maintenance of Roundabout’s literary database
- Completing dramaturgical research for each production and writing articles for Roundabout’s Upstage Guides
- Completing administrative tasks that support the day-to-day operations of the Artistic Department
Strong writing, research, phone, and organizational skills are imperative.
The Development Intern will support the work of Roundabout’s Development Department. Responsibilities include:
- Supporting all areas of Roundabout's fundraising efforts, with emphasis on individual giving
- Assisting in coordinating direct mail campaigns for individual donors
- Researching prospective individual and institutional funders
- Maintaining development files
- Carrying out other special projects and cultivation events as needed
The ideal candidate for this position is detail-oriented with strong writing and communication skills, is able to work in a fast-paced environment and multi-task, and has a passion for theatre/fundraising. Experience with Tessitura database, internet research applications, and mail merges, a plus.
EDUCATION INTERN, COMMUNITY PARTNERSHIPS
This Education Intern will support the work of Education@Roundabout’s Community Partnerships initiatives. Responsibilities include:
- Assisting in the preparation of dramaturgical research materials for the 2020-2021 season of Roundabout productions.
- Assisting in the coordination and general support for various Community Partnerships programs including off-site partnerships, Theatre Plus, Upstage Playgoers Guide and on-site workshops.
Tasks may include:
- Transcribing interviews and supporting Roundabout’s Upstage Playgoers Guide
- Assisting with scheduling and preparation for Community Partnership meetings
- Supporting Relaxed Performances
- Coordinating and prepping programmatic materials
- Documenting Community Partnerships programs
- Assisting lead facilitators as needed
- Completing administrative tasks that support the day-to-day operations of Education at Roundabout
Strong writing and research skills along with an interest in community and audience engagement are imperative.
EDUCATION INTERN, TEACHING & LEARNING
This Education Intern will support the work of Education@Roundabout’s Teaching & Learning initiatives. Responsibilities include:
- Assisting in the coordination and general support for the Roundabout Youth Ensemble (RYE). RYE is a student-run theatre company with the students serving as the artistic, managing, and production leaders. Duties may include but are not limited to:
- Mentoring students through the production process
- Arranging snacks for students
- Prepping and coordinating materials
- Helping students write rehearsal reports
- Documenting the program
- Assisting in the coordination and general support for various education programs including on-site workshops and professional development institutes.
- Assisting in the preparation of curricular materials for the 2022-2023 season of Roundabout productions.
Strong organizational skills and an interest in working with high school aged youth are imperative.
The Finance Intern will support the work of the Staff Accountant, Finance Administrator, Payroll Managers, and Finance Director. Responsibilities include:
- Creating daily wraps (ticket sales reports) and projections for our rentals
- Processing incoming mail, invoices, check requests and related receipts for Accounts Payable
- Maintaining daily contact with vendors and RTC staff
- Creating and maintaining files, spreadsheets, and various reports, including maintenance of digital files
- Completing various financial projects and providing overall administrative support to the finance office
GENERAL MANAGEMENT INTERN
The General Management Intern will support the work of the management staff, general managers and various production and facility personnel. Responsibilities include:
- Maintaining artist contracts: drafting correspondence with agents, unions, and other collaborators
- Answering and redirecting phone calls
- Maintaining an extensive filing system
- Tracking Broadway grosses and industry trends
- Special projects such as preparing research for various production and administration needs
- Filling house seat requests
- Researching legal and copyright issues
Experience with Microsoft Office, strong organizational skills, and an interest in theatrical management/arts administration are imperative.
HUMAN RESOURCES INTERN
The Human Resources Intern will support the work of the Human Resources (HR) Department. Responsibilities include:
- Assisting with new hire and termination processes in ADP Workforce Now and other vendors
- Preparing and reviewing new hire and orientation paperwork
- Communicating with staff to maintain company-wide staff list
- Editing of Roundabout's employee newsletter
- HR file maintenance including updating I9 database and administering Paid-Time Off Requests
- Assisting with implementation of performance appraisal system
- Resolving issues with employee documentation
- Researching and collecting data for various HR initiatives
- Working on various short and long-term HR projects
- Observing interview process and shadowing HR Director in day to day activities
The Information Technology (IT) Intern will support the work of the IT Support Team. Responsibilities inlcude:
- Troubleshooting IT issues and resolving service requests
- Providing technical support in person and over the phone as needed
- Assisting the IT department in deploying, upgrading, and repairing computers, printers, phones, and peripherals
- Working closely with the IT team to maintain our IT documentation surrounding daily tasks and major issues/projects
- Assisting web development team members in keeping our in-house application running and our website bug-free
Experience/understanding of basic computer operations including MAC OS, Microsoft Windows OS (10 and beyond), Microsoft Office Suite, PC Hardware and Software, Workstation (imaging/provisioning), Active Directory, Office 365 Administration, Networking technologies/protocols (IP addressing, DNS, DHCP, VPN, etc.) and Virtualization (VMWare) is a must.
Physical Demands include:
- Ability to lift at least 50 lbs
- Ability to travel between multiple sites within the Theater District
- Ability to work in confined spaces
The Marketing Intern will support the work of the Marketing Department. Responsibilities include:
- Independently managing projects related to subscription campaigns, advertising, and direct mail
- Assisting with planning and execution for numerous pre- and post-show Marketing events, including Hiptix events for young professionals
- Marketing and sales reporting
- Interdepartmental routing
- Independently conduct strategic outreach and coordinate partnerships with other not-for-profit organizations, brands, and influencers
- Strategic research and planning for future productions
- Support digital content team by assisting with content creation and social media monitoring
- Additional projects as assigned
Note: One internship is available in the Marketing department.
Roundabout does not offer internships in acting, directing, or production. Please review our FAQ page for more information.
Questions may be sent via email to email@example.com. No phone calls, please.