“This Training reminded me that teaching is an art itself; always changing, improving, and inventing. It reminded me why I decided to become a teacher in the first place.”
How can educators and teaching artists use elements of theater to ignite active learning?
Stimulate your own intellect and creativity while exchanging theatre activities in the context of academic learning standards.
Theatrical Teaching Institute (TTI) is a 45-hour course for educators and teaching artists. Explore Roundabout’s Theatrical Teaching Framework, a pedagogical lens developed by Roundabout that centers learners as artists, leverages your skills as a theatre maker, and celebrates the process of artistic creation.
In these challenging and uncertain times, this institute will convene educators and teaching artists virtually to exchange strategies for engaging learners through the arts, with an emphasis on adapting for remote instruction. The pedagogical strategies explored in the institute will be applicable in both virtual and in-person classrooms.
- Use theatre to activate student learning
- Apply new teaching strategies to your curriculum
- Explore your own creativity
- Participate in workshops with Roundabout artists
- Promote culturally responsive teaching through theatre
- Connect with educators and teaching artists
- Participants will experience some activities in real time via ZOOM and receive assignments and projects to work on individually at their own pace.
August 3–7: Theatrical Teaching Framework Introduction & Devising Project
In this first week, the course will require 25 hours of time, roughly five hours of your time per day. Synchronous instruction will occur 2:30–4:30pm ET each day.
August 10–21: Framework Application, Enrichment Opportunities, & Lesson Share
In the second and third weeks, the course will require 10 hours of time per week. Synchronous instruction will occur 2:30–4:30pm ET on Tuesdays and Thursdays.
- Small group virtual devising share (Due: Aug. 7)
- Framework Lesson Share (Due Aug. 21)
- You will apply theatrical teaching strategies to a curriculum & modality of your choice, shared with the group as an asynchronous module or a video activity.
Tuition is $250.
Additional discounts are available for NYC DOE Educators. NYC DOE and Roundabout partner teachers should email us for more information.
P-Credit & CTLE hours will be available to all NYC DOE Educators via the After School Professional Development Program. Additional registration for P-Credit/CTLE hours is necessary through the DOE, available in Spring through the DOE’s ASPDP website.Register Now
“Roundabout’s TTI provides a fresh approach to teaching—regardless of subject area—that can elevate not just content delivery, but long lasting experiences for students.” —Jim Brannigan, Smithtown High School English Teacher
"This institute has elevated my perception of theatre in the classroom. I've been given practical, rich, tangible ways to enhance and deepen student understanding of concepts and content. The application of Common Core Standards…was extremely evident in every piece of this week. Thank you."—Erica Corlito, PS214 Theatre Arts Teacher