Upcoming Relaxed Performances
|Saturday, 11/23/19, 2pm||Scotland, PA|
|Saturday, 3/21/20, 2pm||72 Miles to Go…|
|Sunday, 4/26/20, 3pm||Caroline, or Change|
|Sunday, 6/14/20, 3pm||Birthday Candles|
What is a Relaxed Performance?
A Relaxed Performance is an inclusive theatrical experience designed to be welcoming to individuals with neurodiverse needs and those attending with them. Along with offering a few technical modifications and support materials, this supportive environment provides an opportunity to attend live theatre in a comfortable setting. As the name suggests, these performances are less formal and more supportive of sensory, communication, movement and learning needs. At no time will anyone be asked to leave the performance due to sound, movement or behaviors related to differing cognitive/developmental abilities. This will be a judgement-free environment.
Slight technical modifications include:
- Reduced sound levels
- House lights remaining at a low level. The audience is never completely in the dark.
In advance of the performance:
- There is a social narrative that describes the events of the day. This document may be individualized to suit the needs of those attending the performance.
During the performance:
- There will be a break area in case patrons would like to step out of the performance during the show. Individuals may access the break area as well as enter the performance as needed.
- Assistive communication devices as well as comfort items will be welcomed.
- The theatre will be staffed with volunteers who have experience working with individuals with special needs to assist ushers and patrons as needed.
If you have questions or would like to be notified when future Relaxed Performances are scheduled, please contact Audience Services at 212.719.1300.
This program is supported by public funds from the New York City Department of Cultural Affairs.