What is a Relaxed Performance?
A Relaxed Performance is an inclusive theatrical experience designed to be welcoming to individuals with special needs and those attending with them. This supportive environment provides an opportunity for people to attend live theatre who may not be able to do so with a general audience. As the name suggests, these performances are less formal and more supportive of sensory, communication, movement and learning needs. At no time, will anyone be asked to leave the performance due to sound, movement or behaviors related to differing cognitive/developmental abilities. This will be a judgement-free environment.
Slight technical modifications include:
- Reduced sound levels
- House lights remaining at a low level. The audience is never completely in the dark.
In advance of the performance:
- There is a social narrative that describes the events of the day. This document may be individualized to suit the needs of those attending the performance.
During the performance:
- There will be a break area in case patrons would like to step out of the performance during the show. Individuals may access the break area as well as enter the performance as needed.
- Assistive communication devices as well as comfort items will be welcomed.
- The theatre will be staffed with volunteers who have experience working with individuals with special needs to assist ushers and patrons as needed.
2018–2019 Relaxed Performances
Click on a date below to buy tickets for that performance.
||March 2, 2019
|Merrily We Roll Along
||March 30, 2019
|Kiss Me, Kate||DATE TBA
|Toni Stone||July 20, 2019|
If you have questions or would like to be notified when future Relaxed Performances are scheduled, please contact Audience Services at 212.719.1300.